When it comes to ecommerce, how your warehouse is managed is paramount. Indeed, given that there are so many types of ecommerce businesses, making creative use of warehouse space is one of the best ways to ensure smooth operations. Flex space warehousing is one popular option for scaling ecommerce entrepreneurs. If you’re wondering “what is flex space,” you’ve come to the right place. We’ve got the full rundown on the benefits of flex warehousing for ecommerce businesses below. Let’s dive in!
What is Flex Space?
For those who are unfamiliar, flex space is a term that describes any warehouse or building that has a combination of warehouse and office/retail space. These buildings typically include a loading dock as well as an elevated ceiling height when compared to traditional office buildings. Flex warehouses may come in a variety of shapes and sizes; they are highly sought after by businesses of all kinds because they are versatile spaces that afford them lots of options in terms of layout and functionality.
Moreover, another, perhaps more relevant, answer to the question, “what is flex space,” is that it is a warehouse facility that can serve as a fulfillment and inventory management hub for a growing business. This is the ideal solution for a scaling ecommerce business because it not only provides space to operate but also store and ship inventory. In addition, some flex warehouses allow companies to set up their warehouse space to fit their needs.
Benefits of Running Your Ecommerce Business From A Flex Space
If you are an ecommerce entrepreneur and want to know more about the benefits of flex warehouse space, we’ve highlighted the big ones below to help with your transition from your home or alternatives like storage units to a more functional space that will help your business take off:
- Effortless Scalability: One of the top benefits of having a flex space is that it makes scaling your business a breeze. As a growing ecommerce business, knowing you can repurpose your space to accommodate the latest inventory, increased number of shipments, or more people is one less thing you have to worry about. At home, you do not have the space flexibility to suddenly expand your inventory. If you run your business from a flex space you have the peace of mind knowing that your workspace has the ability to grow as your company does. This great feature also allows you to only pay for the space you really need and slowly expand as your business grows.
- Lean on Dedicated Team: Flex space warehouses may come with a dedicated staff who can support your operations. For example, at Saltbox, our teams help members receive inventory, tackle shipping, and pitch in with day to day surprises. We also offer an Elastic Workforce (or eForce) for hire, which serves as on-demand labor extension of your team. So using our flex space allows you to leverage extra hands when you need them - from fulfillment to workflow optimization to special projects, we can do it all. As a new business, we know you might need extra resources and support while learning and growing, and our expert teams are here to help.
- Community: Working from a flex space will allow you to surround yourself with our ecommerce entrepreneurs and not only give you great networking opportunities but also provide you with a sense of community and belonging. Immersing yourself in an environment that is supportive of what your business does and is there to help you grow will help you and your business develop faster. Additionally, the shared amenities help you to connect with others and take advantage of conversations to foster greater business development ideas and perhaps even collaboration.
- Storage Space: Although many ecommerce companies do not have much inventory, those who do may be able to store things at their chosen warehouse. So, if you have products that you need to store or keep safe until they are sold, a flex storage space just may be the perfect choice for you.
- Reduced Startup Costs: Lastly, if you are a new business owner who is just launching your ecommerce business, using a flex warehouse space can significantly reduce your startup costs. With flex space, you do not need to worry about paying for monthly maintenance costs, or major amenities. Instead, you can focus your cost solely on your immediate space, and with flexible contracts, a flex space will allow you to expand as needed. This way you only pay for what you need to help reduce overhead costs.
Looking for Flex Warehouse Space?
If you stumbled across this article while doing a search for “what is flex space,” Saltbox is here to help! Our spaces are purpose-built for ecommerce entrepreneurs with everything you need to grow under one roof - from flexible warehouse and office suites, to loading docks, equipment, daily carrier pick-ups, fulfillment, on-demand labor and more. We know that flexibility is key for growing businesses, so Saltbox pricing is all-inclusive and memberships are monthly, so you can rest assured you can scale at your own pace. What’s more, Saltbox locations are hubs of activity with community events and engagement opportunities with other like-minded entrepreneurs. You don’t have to go it alone! Book a tour at your local Saltbox and explore all the benefits of membership.